Monday 8 January 2007

I am Boris.... the beginning

OK, here goes out for nowt (old saying up North), now you are probably guessing why the odd title "I am Boris" when clearly my name is NOT Boris but Jan Szymczuk (pronounced Shim-shook - quick tip whenever you see a z in an Eastern European surname and have trouble pronouncing the word, just mentally change the "z" to an "h" so szym becomes shim and czuk becomes chuk - got that?, ) well back in the real early days of my employment, my fellowcolleagues (following on with their daft traditions) wanted to give me a suitable nickname (I know, I tried explaining to them how my name was pronounced, but being guys with less brain cells than an single cell amoeba (myself included) they could quite grasp my Geordie accent as I pronounced my Polish surname. I went through an exciting few weeks of so called creative nicknames (Ching-a-Chook, Shell-Shock, Chimney Sweep, Shimmy and a myriad of others) none of them really seemed to work for me, so in desperation (and by that time, I was getting desperate) I had an inspiration (pretty rare for me) and I turned round and said to them, look, just call me Boris (at that time, I was quite a fan of the fantasy Artist Boris Vallego) and the name kind of stuck, and ever since mostly workmates, neighbours etc, called me Boris. So the legend in his own lunchtime was born.

No comments: