Monday 28 November 2011

Teasel the Beardie



Medium: Graphite pencil, leads, 2B, 7H, 6H, 5H and 2H

Paper: Goldline Bristol Board 220 gsm 

Size: A2 (23.4″ × 16.5″ – 594 x 420mm) 

Duration: 10 − 12 hours

This is a commission graphite sketch I've just completed (in time for someones Birthday in December 2011), of Teasel a beautiful and very energetic Beardie. The whole process has taken me between 10 − 12 hours or thereabouts over a few days. Completing this sketch was a real challenge and I think I was pushing the envelope out a bit, as there was a lot of white and grey fur in this dog, so I ended up using a lot of the higher hard pencils H4, H6 and H7 as well as the usual softer 2B. 

I also used quite a load of embossing with the embossing tools I have and even found them useful for some tufts of hair in the dogs coat (especially on the thigh and chest areas). For the subtle grass background, I again used the embossing tools and filled in the spaces delicately with a 3mm 2B lead, that required the unadulterated use of lots of patience and and then even some patience! But I'm happy with the finished effect it gives the subject.

No comments: