Wednesday 9 February 2011

Vermeer Study - Girl with a pearl earring (finished)


My finished pencil study

















Medium: Pencil (7H pencul and Pentel P205 0.5mm 2B lead
Paper: Goldline Bristol board
Size: A3 size 420mm x 297mm (16.5”x11.7”)
Duration: 12 hours

Finally finished this epic study today after approximately working over five days. I have covered every square centimetre of this beautiful painting in sketching this study. I think I finally understand something of the process Vermeer used to get this painting looking the way he did.

Hopefully this practice on this study will stand me in good stead when I begin to repaint this subject again in oils. I have learned how he has structured his shadows, his tones and can fully appreciate the lighting he uses to make this portrait stand out as it does. So I’ll have to start getting my oils ready for stage two of this journey I’ve decided to undertake.

I have never enjoyed myself so much with a sketch as I have with this pencil study. Vermeer was, Ihinks, a class of artist, that stands head and shoulders above his fellow contemparies, simply for the dedication and patience he used in his paintings

No comments: